Employment Opportunity: Wake County Environmental Services – Environmental Health Specialist – Food Lodging Institution & Specialties Sections.
To apply please visit, https://ewaketalent.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/3/home?c=ewaketalent
To view our benefits section please visit, http://www.wakegov.com/employment/benefits/Pages/default.aspx
Wake County’s employees enjoy competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, generous paid leave, investment in professional development, and a balance of work and family life. We offer a diverse selection of benefits to choose from, allowing employees to customize their benefits package to meet their family’s unique needs.
Our comprehensive benefits package and wellness programs are the rewards that go beyond the paycheck, including a 5% employer contribution to NC 401(k); on-site Employee Health Centers; employee assistance programs; and medical, dental, vision and life insurance options. The County also offers a generous paid leave program that includes sick, annual, community service, parental, military and bereavement leave. These benefits, along with our award-winning wellness programs, set us apart as an employer of choice and affirm our commitment to supporting employees and their families, both inside and outside of work.
What You’ll Be Doing
The Food Sanitation Environmental Health Specialist protects the public by preventing or reducing the risk of illness, communicable disease and injury to the citizens and visitors of Wake County by performing evaluations of food, lodging, childcare, adult daycare, tattoo artists, swimming pools, residential care and institutional facilities.
- Performs inspection of food, lodging, and institutional facilities required by state rules and regulations
- Conducts foodborne and communicable disease outbreak investigations
- May inspect swimming pools and tattoo facilities
- Performs emergency response and complaint investigations
- Educates the general public concerning environmental and public health issues
- Performs follow up visits to various locations
NOTE: We are currently recruiting qualified applicants for an Environmental Health Specialist position.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours in physical or biological science. Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) required. A valid driver’s license and a “safe” driving record required.
- Market Range Minimum: $22.21
- Market Range Midpoint: $29.99
- Market Range Maximum: $37.76
If there are no fully qualified applicants, we will consider applicants for an Environmental Health Associate position.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours in physical or biological science. A valid driver’s license and a “safe” driving record required.
- Market Range Minimum: $20.19
- Market Range Midpoint: $27.26
- Market Range Maximum: $34.33
About Our Team
Do you have an extensive knowledge of Environmental Health rules and regulations, and are you looking for a career with excellent benefits? If so, the Food, Institution and Sanitation Section of Wake County Environmental Services would like to meet you! The Wake County Environmental Services Environmental Health and Safety Division’s mission is to reduce public health and safety risks to citizens and visitors of Wake County through efficient and effective plan review, audits, and education. Wake County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation with a population of over 1 million. The Food Lodging Institution Section won the 2016 Samuel J. Crumbine Consumer Protection Award in 2016.
The Basics (Required Education and Experience)
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours in physical or biological science. A valid driver’s license and a “safe” driving record required. Equivalent education and experience combination accepted.
Beyond the Basics (Preferred Education and Experience)
- Current NC REHS registration
- National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) – current exam credential
- NC DHHS authorizations
How Will We Know You’re ‘The One’?
- Knowledge of local and state regulations governing food and lodging institutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, manage and coordinate multiple assignments
- Ability to focus on results and quality
- Ability to multi-task
About This Position
Location: Waverly F. Akins Wake County Office Building Raleigh, NC 27601
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Mon – Fri, 8:30am – 5:15pm
Posting Closing Date: 7:00 pm on 7/1/2020
What Makes Wake Great
Home to the State Capital, Wake County is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation and the second-most populous county in the state, with approximately 1,000,000 residents. The County has received national and international rankings and accolades from publications such as Money, Fortune, and Time magazines as being one of the best places to live, work and play. The central location of the County allows for a short drive to the spectacular mountains or coast. Wake County Government is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, who are elected at-large to serve four-year terms. Wake County Government has a general operating budget of $1.3 billion, employs approximately 4,200 employees, experiences minimal turnover, and is an award-winning leader in wellness and technology initiatives; such as offering employees and covered spouses free access to the Employee Health Center. Wake County Government offers a wide range of training and development opportunities, a stable career in public service with a balance of work and family life, flexible work schedules and a competitive salary and benefits package.
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Position may require a background check that may include: criminal, credit, motor vehicle, education, and sexual offender registry or others based on job requirements. Unless required by state law, a record of conviction will not automatically exclude you from consideration for employment. Wake County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have further questions, please contact,
Food Lodging Institution Section Program Manager
Environmental Services / Environmental Health & Safety Division
Wake County Government