Toe River Health District is looking for two
Environmental Health Specialists
We are looking for two experienced Environmental Health Specialists, one in Avery County due to an upcoming retirement and one in Mitchell County.
Avery and Mitchell Counties are mountainous counties where our summers are warm but not sweltering, our winters can be cold but not frigid. Have fun snow skiing, river rafting, hiking the many trails or even the Appalachian Trail, visit the many waterfalls, beautiful scenery, rural lifestyle, low crime rate, great schools, and friendly people. Enjoy a clean, slower paced way of living. An hour from Asheville, and Johnson City, Tennessee.
· Salary range $42,448-55,000 depending on experience.
· Property owners are responsible for digging pits. No digging by our EH staff.
· Great work family. We work as a team so you will have support when you need it.
· County Commissioner and Board of Health support.
· Less than a 3 week backlog.
· Full time clerical support
· You will have a Toe River Suburu to drive for work along with an agency cell phone.
· You will receive a $500 per year clothing allowance.
· We have a $5,000 sign on bonus. Half on first paycheck, second half at one year anniversary.
· We offer a generous 10 hours of vacation leave and 9 hours of sick leave each month. You will receive 8 hours of additional personal leave every year.
· You will be a part of the North Carolina state retirement system. We have a 401k/457 supplemental retirement plan available.
· We have NC State Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance. Your cost is $25 a month for 70/30 or $50 a month for 80/20.
· At Toe River Health District we value families. We have a yearly, catered picnic where families are welcome.
Our perfect candidate will be able to
· Work well with the public
· Evaluate sites for well water and septic systems, lay out systems and inspect installed systems
· Evaluate problems in existing systems
· Inspect and evaluate sites for location of wells
· Evaluate existing homes for verification of wastewater and water supply systems
· Collect water samples for analysis and review
· Investigate nuisance complaints and on-site wastewater system failures
· Prepare reports, correspondence and other documents concerning complaints and enforcement activities
· Authorized in Onsite in North Carolina
· Valid NC driver’s license
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
· Authorized in Food and Lodging
Deadline: Open until filled
Please submit NC State Application to:
Toe River Health District
Attn: Betty McKinney Finance Officer
130 Forest Service Road, Suite D
Bakersville, NC 28705
Or email NC State Application to:
Diane Creek, Health Director- diane.creek
Link to state application: https://oshr.nc.gov/nc-state-government-paper-application-employment-pd-107