The Jackson County Department of Public Health has a position open for an Environmental Health Specialist in Onsite for the Environmental Health Section.
Jackson County is nestled among the Great Smoky Mountains, and features a nice balance between peaceful forests and vibrant downtowns. I have listed the “Top Five” reasons why you should choose to live and work in Jackson County.
1. Central Location – Jackson County is 50 miles from Asheville, 111 miles from Knoxville, 50 miles from Gatlinburg, and only 150 miles from Atlanta. It’s also convenient to Upstate South Carolina, and less than three hours from North Carolina’s largest city, Charlotte.
2. A River Runs Through It – The picturesque Tuckaseegee River flows 40 miles throughout Jackson County. A moderate current makes it one of the best white-water rivers for beginners and families, and it is considered the state’s Premier Trout Fishing Destination.
3. Booming Business– With a 22 percent increase in population over the past decade, economic growth abounds. According to 2015 U.S. Census estimates, Jackson County has a population of 41,265. The county is also a popular tourist destination, which has fueled growth in the Sylva, Cullowhee, Dillsboro, Webster and Cashiers communities.
4. Lovely Landscape – The County’s 491 square miles encompass some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the Southeast. Elevations range from 2,000 feet to more than 6,000 feet. The landscape is highlighted by waterfalls, rocky peaks and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
5. Quality Educational and Cultural Opportunities: Western Carolina University (www.wcu.edu) and Southwestern Community College (www.southwesterncc.edu) offer an unbeatable combination of academic excellence, innovative programs, first class performing arts center, and small class sizes in a beautiful mountain setting. Both campuses are absolutely beautiful and provide quality programs in academics and athletics.
Please see the attached job posting for further details.
Alicia Parham, MPH, REHS
Environmental Health Director
Jackson County Department of Public Health
154 Medical Park Loop
Sylva, NC 28779